Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 | 12:00 AM ET
S3 Ep9: The Future of Health: Blurring Traditional Healthcare Boundaries—featuring Simon Gisby
We need to redefine healthcare for businesses to treat it properly.
In this episode, Simon Gisby, leader of Risk and Financial Advisory, and leader of Healthcare Strategy and Growth Practice at Deloitte Corporate Finance, discusses how to build a business that adds value to healthcare focusing on the customers. He questions what we have defined as healthcare and broadens its definition to cover humans' physical, mental, spiritual, and financial status, amongst other possible environmental determinants. If healthcare were treated as something preventive, taking into account these social determinants would be beneficial, as Simon highlights. He compares and contrasts pipeline and platform businesses, delving into why the industry is moving towards adopting the latter as a path to tackle root causes and positively impact consumers’ outcomes. Simon also mentions how health ecosystems and platforms can address health equity through education and treating care holistically.
Tune in and listen to what Simon Gisby has to say about the future of healthcare with how platform businesses can change health ecosystems for the better!
About Simon Gisby:
Simon is a principal and the Life Sciences and Health Care Group leader with Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC (DCF) and a principal in Deloitte Transactions and Business Analytics LLP. He has more than 20 years of investment banking experience focused on the healthcare industry. Prior to joining DCF, Simon was a director with Houlihan Lokey where he specialized in the financial restructuring of healthcare companies. Simon was previously a director in the Global Healthcare Investment Banking Group of UBS Investment Bank, where he structured and completed numerous mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, and other capital markets transactions. Simon started his career at Chase Manhattan Bank.
Simon has lectured on and contributed to numerous articles on the healthcare industry and M&A strategy. He is regularly quoted in the national media and is a contributor to the M&A Advisor/Best Practices of Deal Makers. In 2014, Simon was awarded The M&A Advisor Healthcare Restructuring Deal of the Year and in 2013, he was awarded The M&A Advisor Healthcare Deal of the Year.
Simon's clients include multinational medical device and pharmaceutical companies, national and regional health plans and hospital systems, multi-specialty physician groups, and ancillary service healthcare companies.
Things You’ll Learn:
- Deloitte is the largest professional services firm and the largest healthcare practice globally.
- Pipeline businesses grow the traditional way: through expanding their geography, adding a new product, or scaling through vertical or horizontal integration.
- Platform grow by taking in feedback from consumers and creating relationships that make them faster, more accurate, and have better outcomes.
- Health ecosystems consist of connections and networks of companies and different business models that approach and cover health and wellness.
- Healthcare costs in the United States pick up about 18% of GDP.
- One way to address the health equity problem is through education focused on healthcare outcomes for stakeholders.
- Platform businesses are the most valuable businesses.
Simon GisbyPrincipal, Deloitte
You May Also Enjoy