Thursday, Apr 20, 2023 | 12:00 AM ET
S3 Ep32: Investing in Transformative Health Technology—featuring Deena Shakir
Breakthrough health tech is useless if it fails to meet people where they are, especially when it comes to underserved populations.
So, how do we encourage VCs to invest in culturally competent digital health solutions? How do we direct capital in a way that promotes health equity for women and communities of color?
She is passionate about investing in women's health, digital health infrastructure, health equity and foodtech, and her portfolio includes notable startups like Maven Clinic, Everly Health and Gameto.
On this episode of HLTH Matters, Deena joins host Dr. Jessica Shepherd to discuss the fertility and maternal health crises we face in the US and the $90 million Lux has invested to address these issues.Deena describes some of the category leading companies in the Lux health tech portfolio and explains how she thinks about putting women’s health at the forefront of research, technology and innovation.
Listen in for insight on building technologies that meet people where they are and get Deena’s take on the future of the healthcare investment landscape.
- Deena’s journey to becoming a VC in health and wellness tech
- The $90M Lux has focused on investing in women’s health
- Deena’s insight on the fertility and maternal health crises we face in the US
- The category leading companies in integrated women’s health in the Luxe portfolio
- Putting women’s health at the forefront of research, technology and innovation
- How the conversation around women’s health is changing among VCs
- How innovation has improved coming out of the pandemic
- Why women in leadership serve as champions for cultural competency in healthcare
- How time spent with her founders lifts Deena up on a bad day
Connect with Deena Shakir
Connect with Dr. Jessica Shepherd
Deena ShakirPartner, Lux Capital
You May Also Enjoy