Thursday, Jun 2, 2022 | 12:00 AM ET
S2 Ep6: Building the Infrastructure for Digital Health—featuring Jonathan Bush
The same way that a company like Stripe provides payment processing infrastructure for eCommerce, Zus Health is building the infrastructure for digital health.
CEO Jonathan Bush and his team are doing the dirty work to make electronic health records more accessible and accelerate innovation in the patient relationship management space.
Prior to Zus, Jonathan spent 22 years as CEO of Athena Health, the leading provider of cloud-based services for electronic health records. He also served as a US Army Medic during Desert Storm and EMT for the City of New Orleans.
On this episode of HLTH Matters, Jonathan joins hosts Dr. Gautam Gulati and Dr. Jordan Shlain to explain how building infrastructure will give the current wave of digital health companies staying power and encourage innovation in the space. Jonathan describes how his team is moving old medical records into ZODS (the Zus operational data store) and when the protocol will be open for building. Listen in for Jonathan’s insight on the explosion of venture capital in health tech and find out how you can be a part of the Zus Health team.
- How the goal of Zus Health differs from Jonathan’s previous venture with Athena
- Why the claims-based architecture of the healthcare system is resistant to the faster-better-cheaper model of innovation
- How Zus is to healthcare what Plaid is to banking
- How venture capital in the health tech space has increased exponentially in the last 7 years
- Jonathan’s hope that building the infrastructure will give the current wave of digital health companies more staying power (and encourage people to build more)
- The constraints Jonathan’s team faces in building Zus and when the protocol will be open for building
- Why the term emergency medical records or EMR is no longer relevant
- Giving healthcare data the agency to find you vs. waiting for you to access it
- The mapping Jonathan’s team at Zus is doing to move old medical records into ZODS (Zus operational data store)
- The many open positions on the Zus Health team
- How Jonathan defines health as the full exposure to personal joy
Connect with Jonathan Bush
Connect with Dr. Gautam Gulati & Dr. Jordan Shlain
[5:07] “Is this the equivalent in the FinTech world of what Plaid is to banks, Zus is to...” “You got it. Stipe or Twilio. You don’t want to go and build, you know, 600 connections to 600 hospitals and then do all the normalization. One guy go do that miserable work and then serve up 15 different APIs for manifesting it in whatever software you’re building.”
Jonathan BushFounder and CEO, Zus Health
You May Also Enjoy