Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 | 12:00 AM ET
S2 Ep16: The Intersection of Health and Tech —featuring Vivian Lee
If you think about our phones, we all essentially have the same phone yet, it’s a deeply personalized experience for each one of us. What if healthcare was like that? - Personalized and holistic, thinking about you, where you are.
Vivian S. Lee, M.D., Ph.D., M.B.A., is the President of Verily Health Platforms, overseeing all health care platforms, including Onduo, Healthy at Work, and Verily’s Value Suite, among others. She is also the author of The Long Fix: Solving America’s Health Care Crisis with Strategies that Work for Everyone. As a healthcare executive, she formerly served as the medical school dean, SVP, and CEO of the University of Utah Health, a $3.5 billion integrated health system and health plan that ranked first among university hospitals in quality and safety. Over her career as an NIH-funded MRI researcher, she has published over 200 articles in leading journals including JAMA and the New England Journal of Medicine and received the Gold Medal of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine.
If that wasn’t enough, Dr. Lee was elected to the National Academy of Medicine in 2015 and was ranked #11 among Becker’s 100 most influential people in healthcare in 2019. A Rhodes Scholar, she is a graduate of Harvard College, Oxford University, Harvard Medical School, and NYU Stern School of Business.
On this episode of HLTH Matters, Vivian joins hosts Dr. Gautam Gulati and Patricia Bradley to discuss the intersection of health and tech and how it can be very transformative on health care. She describes strategies to solve America’s healthcare crisis and how these strategies can not only work for everyone, but also advance healthcare faster than ever before. Listen in for insight on the future of health platforms and the potential they have to advance population health.
- Vivian’s background in medicine and what she does now with Verily
- Insight on Vivian’s book, The Long Fix: Solving America’s Health Care Crisis with Strategies that Work for Everyone
- What the average individual can do to contribute to the ongoing change of healthcare
- Where all the costs of healthcare are coming from
- The Surf and Turf Problem
- How the healthcare system is only designed to treat instead of prevent
- What Vivian took away when writing her book
- Who Verily is and their purpose
- Vivian’s insight on how much more personal healthcare could be and the goal around that
- Vivian’s insight on how unique and personalized healthcare could and should be
- The ways Onduo plans on providing more personal results and solutions for people
- The vision of Verily Health Platforms
- How Vivian defines health as the ability to really live our lives in a productive, comfortable and safe way
- Vivian’s belief that healthcare for every single person in America is the answer to health
Connect with Vivian Lee
Connect with Dr. Gautam Gulati
“Even though my book is called The Long Fix, I’m hoping that it’s going to be less long now because of the pandemic and the acceleration of these digital health approaches that can be a lot more personalized and holistic, and thinking about you, where you are. So, if you think about our phones, we all essentially have the same phone...but yet it’s a very deeply personalized experience for each of us. Now, think about if healthcare were like that.
Vivian Lee, M.D., Ph.D., M.B.A.President, Verily Health Platforms, Verily
You May Also Enjoy